The EB-1 Outstanding Researcher or Outstanding Professor (EB-1B) immigration category is reserved for those considered outstanding in their specific field and who have achieved international recognition. Only tenured/tenure track professors or permanent researchers may use this category, and a foreign national applicant must have at least three years of teaching or research experience. Individuals may not file an Outstanding Researcher or Professor petition on their own behalf.
REQUIREMENTS FOR AN OUTSTANDING RESEARCHER/PROFESSOR PETITION
University professors or researchers and researchers in a private organization may apply for the EB-1B Outstanding Researcher/Professor category if the following requirements are met:
- The person receives an offer of employment from a prospective U.S. employer. The offer of employment must be in the form of a letter from:
- A U.S. university or institution of higher learning offering the individual a tenured or tenure-track teaching position in their academic field; or
- A U.S. university or institution of higher learning offering the individual a permanent research position in their academic field; or
- A department, division, or institute of a private employer offering the individual a permanent research position in their academic field. The department, division, or institute must demonstrate that it employs at least three full-time researchers, and that it has documented accomplishments in an academic field.
- Evidence that the professor or researcher has at least three years of experience in teaching and/or research in the academic field. Experience in teaching or research while working on an advanced degree will only be acceptable if the foreign national has acquired the degree.
- Evidence that the professor or researcher is recognized internationally as outstanding in the academic field specified in the petition.
Please contact us if you need would like legal assistance obtaining employment- based permanent residence and to schedule your initial consultation.