Royal Gearhart | Attorney
Royal Gearhart has extensive experience representing a wide range of clients in nearly all aspects of immigration law. His practice focuses on assisting employers and employees with nonimmigrant and immigrant visa petitions, labor certifications, and I-9 compliance issues. Royal also assists individuals in obtaining nonimmigrant status, asylum, waivers, permanent legal residency, citizenship, and petitions for family members.
Royal obtained his Juris Doctor from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. He also holds a Bachelor’s degree in English and Spanish from Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Prior to joining Curray York & Associates, Royal grew and managed one of the largest immigration practices in southwest Indiana, representing corporate clients, universities, and individuals in employment-based and family-based immigration petitions, and advising employers on I-9 compliance and immigration related employment issues. He has dedicated hundreds of pro bono hours to representing dozens of individuals and families who fled their homes fearing for their lives seeking asylum in the United States. Royal is passionate about giving back to his community, and has served on numerous boards for nonprofit and municipal organizations.
Royal has been repeatedly selected by Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star in the field of immigration law. He is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, as well as the Indiana Bar Association, Evansville Bar Association, and Illinois Bar Association. He is licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois, the State of Indiana, and the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana.
Royal is fluent in Spanish and has lived in Spain and Ecuador. In his free time, Royal enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, and exploring the great outdoors.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH, AFFILIATIONS, AND PUBLICATIONS
- Royal has been selected as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers® for 2018, 2019, and 2020.
- Royal is an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
- He has served as the president of the board of directors for the Parenting Time Center in Evansville, Indiana.
- He has served as the vice-president of the steering committee for the Latino Collaboration Table in Evansville, Indiana.
- He was a founding member of the steering committee for the Latino Chamber Alliance for the Southwest Indiana Chamber of Commerce.
- He served as a member of the Mayor’s Latino Advisory Committee in Evansville, Indiana.
- Royal also served as a member of the board of directors for the Vanderburgh County Minority and Women Owned Business Enterprises Utilization Board.
- He is licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois and the State of Indiana, and in the United States District Courts in the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana.
- Royal is a member of the Indiana Bar Association, Illinois Bar Association, and the Evansville Bar Association.
- “Hiring Foreign Workers and I-9 Compliance,” Owensboro Society for Human Resource Management, May 2019 and the Madisonville Society for Human Resource Management, May 2019
- “Employment-Based Immigration Seminar,” Toyota Manufacturing Indiana, October 2018
- “Immigration Issues in Family Law CLE” Evansville Bar Association, October 2018
- “Immigration Relief for Domestic Violence Victims,” Evansville Bar Association, October 2018
- “Immigration: What Employers Need to Know,” Jasper Chamber of Commerce, April 2017
- “Advanced Employment Law CLE,” National Business Institute, August 2017
- “The Legal Ethics of E-mail CLE,” National Business Institute, December 2016
- “State of the Latino Population,” The Latino Summit, Evansville, Indiana, October 2015
- “I Thought a Visa was a Credit Card CLE,” Evansville Bar Association, October 2015
- “Language and the Law,” Wabash College, November 2014
Royal Gearhart | Attorney